Wednesday, May 12, 2010

AWARENESS DAY



Today is the day to bring to light
A disease hidden in the darkness
The invisible disease
Hidden by others and even ourselves

I'll be off today driving to both places in Las Vegas that are passing out information so that people are aware of Fibromyalgia

Even though I really hate the Lyrica commercials ( I mean, REALLY, who actually looks like that ) it has done a great deal to establish the legitimacy of the disease. The problem with the commercials is that it makes the pain seem like some casual annoyance. 

Kind of like a fly that can be silenced by a swatter.

The pain is unbelievable at time. Let's show that face to the world.

Let's take the worst flu that you've ever had. The down-to-the-bone aching that keeps you in bed swearing and making deals with God if this pain will just go away. The good thing is that in a few days you're up and feeling good again. Try feeling like this for a week, a month, a year and then years. You get the picture.

Let's imagine getting beaten black and blue with a baseball bat. Then try imagining that this would feel good compared to the pain that is ever-present in your life.

Let's try to imagine something painful that we've gone through and then try to imagine that the pain will never go away and that there is no cure for it.

Then try to imagine that no one believes you.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose,
    Just checking in on my blog. I hope you are well. So cool that you passed out brochures! I just said to my family that today is fibromyalgia awareness day, as I just realized it when I came here, and they well, completely ignored me. Otherwise, having a great visit. :)
    Take care! I miss writing and will write again soon.
    dogkisses and hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!