Sunday, March 16, 2014

THE FIBROMYALGIA SERIES PART R






So here we are
at the letter R.
Most of all we reflect....
and remember.....



R - is definitely for remember. Fibromyalgia is tough on your life. Most of us were Type A personalities that would thrive on the stress of our lives or careers. Once this lovely syndrome Velcros itself to us, we remember with longing our lives and for those of us who lost it....our careers.

R - which brings us to reinvent. If you lost your job or career, Fibromyalgia causes you to have to reinvent your life purpose. This is a tough one. I still struggle with this one but every time someone comments how I've helped them I know that I've found something that I wouldn't trade for the world. It has given me a creative outlet and it's given me purpose.

R - is for reluctance. Even though I've found an outlet, I've been reluctant to let my old life go. I still go through periods of longing and wish I could try sales again. Every time I think I can do it a doozy of a flare serves as a reality check. Ooh......another R.

R - Here we go. Reality check. Like I said.....just when I think I can disregard my body and run headlong into another idea, a flare comes along and slaps me and says...."not so fast..."

R - is for rebellious. Yes, I'm a rebel. Just look back at the other words. I try to live in a way that is kind to my body but every now and then I say.....eff it and push myself. I need to keep saying..."if you push you will pay." I cannot forget this because it is true.

R - is for relax. I need to do this more often. It's not in my nature to live on the comatose side of life but I push too much. If we just close our eyes....shut out the world.....it will help our pain. When life's challenges come at us: just relax.

R - is for recognize. Listen to your body and recognize what it's trying to tell you. I know that my flares usually start in my hands. I'll start rubbing them and then, before I know it, the old familiar ache starts to spread throughout my body. It's also very important to write symptoms and feelings down for your doctor. I hope you have one that listens to you.

R - is for reminders. When the fog hits and you don't know why you walked into a room it's helpful to have little reminders around. I make lists and lists in my phone. I have all my appointments in the calendar. What screws me up is that I forget to look at my phone.

R - is for those restless nights. Even though we have fatigue, we don't get enough restorative sleep. Thank goodness for my iPad. I don't know what I'd do without it. To try to get to sleep, I spray lavender on my pillow and I use melatonin tabs called Mid Nites. I know there's medication to help sleep but I take muscle relaxers and pain medication. I'm afraid to take a sleeping pill on top of that. 

R - is for responsible. Remember that all medications are powerful and we need to be responsible with them. That means responsible in taking them and responsible in where we keep them. If you have others in the house with you take care who has access to them. 

R - is for relatives. My hope is that they recognize what is happening to you and don't make you feel like your faking it or being lazy. Fibromyalgia is real. It's tough enough to deal with the symptoms of this illness without friends or relatives making it worse. If you have people in your life that don't believe you, get to a support group. Reach out....it will help you. None of us can go through this alone.

R - is for realization. Fibromyalgia isn't going away and right now there is no cure. We need to learn management tools so that we don't get overwhelmed. Fortunately, there is a research going on out there that may help point to a cause. 

R - is for renewed. I may not get enough sleep but each day I wake up feeling a sense of renewal. I know that life could be a whole lot worse so I try to be grateful for each day. Gratitude and laughter go a long way.

R - is for rewarding. Thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting. All of you have truly given my life a direction that has so much meaning. It truly is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. 

and lastly.....

R - is for ridiculous. 

Reduce it down to the ridiculous and find something to laugh about each and every day.  

Find joy and happiness and love. 

Sometimes the pain makes it very difficult but find it......

in spite of the pain.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!