Monday, November 8, 2010

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL (OR FIND OUT)






I learned something today.
Always ask what the cost will be,
BEFORE filling your prescription.


Hey, it's my fault. I freely admit that. All I did was answer a couple of questions. I went to my pain management doctor today and she asked how I was sleeping. I truthfully told her that I can fall asleep quickly but I don't stay asleep. I remain asleep for a couple of hours and then I wake up. I'll stay awake for 45 minutes to an hour and then fall asleep again for a couple of hours. This pattern continues throughout the night.

Chalk it up to the good old alpha wave intrusion.

Anyway, she talked to me about sleep aids. I have to tell you that I'm not crazy about them. All sorts of things go through my head. What if I wake up and don't realize that I've taken medication already and take more? What if I have a bad reaction? Can I take this with the medication I'm currently taking? She convinces me to try it because the lack of sleep isn't good for my body.

Really? The lack of sleep isn't good? Come on, I knew that already.

Okay, so I'm armed with the prescriptions and head off to Costco. I'm really not concerned because Costco is so much cheaper than anywhere else I've ever been. Prescriptions that cost over $60.00 at another pharmacy (which will remain nameless) was $18.00 at Costco. Probably why that nameless pharmacy has stores on almost every corner!!

I'm informed that the prescriptions will be ready in about 30 minutes so I decide to walk around and wait for them. 

Forty-five minutes later, after I wait in line, I find out they still aren't ready. Fortunately, the lady at the counter doesn't make me wait in the line again. She has me wait right beside the counter and about 15 minutes later she calls my name.

I hand her my card and she rings up the prescriptions.

$180.00 just for the sleep aid.

Let me tell you, I don't want to sleep that bad. Can you believe that one? Plus, I had a twenty dollar coupon that the doctor gave me. Stupid me, that should have tipped me off. They don't have a generic form of this particular sleep aid yet so I was stuck paying full price. Let me tell you, next month when I go to the pain management doctor she will be told that I'm not paying for that again. If it doesn't have a generic counterpart - forget it!

What are in these little darlings that cost $6.00 a pill, gold? No wonder the pharmaceutical companies and drugstores are such a lucrative business. Now, I don't have anything against anyone making a profit but that is unreal. This is just to help me sleep? What would it be for a drug that I really needed for something life threatening? How do people pay for medications? This is what gets me on my soapbox. This is the kind of reform that is needed. People should be able to get medication for diseases like cancer that doesn't cost an outrageous amount. My girlfriend had breast cancer and her bills for her prescriptions were almost (get this) $7,000.00 a month!  I mean, come on.......that is a travesty. 

Anyway, next time, I'll ask what it costs before I accept it.

I'm not paying 6 bucks just to go to sleep.

Next time, I'll buy Sominex.













2 comments:

  1. I think I know what med you're talking about. I've tried to get sleep with sleep aids, too; but it is outrageously expensive (not as much as you experienced, but more than I wished to spend), so I stopped. It's not worth it. The little blue pills didn't even help me that much, ya know?! I hope the pills help you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rosemary, I feel your pain, that happened to me with one of my meds..never again..We have insurance but my pain pill copay is $64..but its cheaper than some and takes the edge off most days..my Rheumatologist gave me a script with a new med that starts with an S, and some samples...I have to taper off anothr of my meds..i am going to see hw much MY portion is..if it's more than $64 forget it..we are so broke right now and we still have bills and utilites and a mortgage to pay whether I am ill or not.
    Anyway, I 'get' it.
    hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!