Monday, June 29, 2015

BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT









40 feet up.
Under the eaves.
In the shade.
And it's still 114.


You would think that after 53 years I would get used to the summers in Las Vegas. Nope. Not at all. As long as I was in the pool I would be ok. Other than that? No way. Stay inside in the air conditioned house or get in the air conditioned car. 

Since the onset of my medical issues a dislike has turned into an intense hatred.
Plus, the heat makes me very irritable.

I don't know whether its the change in temperature that causes a flare or that my thyroid has caused the intolerance for heat but I feel like I'm going to pass out in this extreme heat. We've had excessive heat these last few weeks. I wasn't kidding about the 114 degrees. The official heat is measured at our airport about 40 feet up and under the eave in the shade. Really. In all actuality it will probably be 119 in the lower parts of the valley. This kind of heat is smothering. The temperature in the car can easily get to 140. You don't mess around with those kind of temperatures.

It gets dangerous.
No kidding.

If you can you have to plan any errands in the "cooler" part of the day. That means before 10 in the morning and after 7 at night. Last night at 9 pm it was 105.  Even then I take a cooler with me to the store because a trip to the store can mean frozen food can start to thaw and milk begins to warm up. Sunglasses are a must if you have light sensitivity (which I do). 

And you have to stay hydrated.
Again, no kidding.

So I'm hibernating this week and praying that the heat will break, otherwise, it's going to be a doozy of a summer. The natives of Las Vegas used to joke that the official temperature was lower so the tourists wouldn't be scared away. I know that the temperature on my car registered 120 the other day coming home from Costco. 

So here I am wishing I was in Antarctica.

There is one upside....

Hey, it's a dry heat!

Thank goodness for small miracles!!


Update: The clouds have moved in and the humidity is starting to rise. Great. Just great.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!