Saturday, October 3, 2015

WILL THE FIBROMYALGIA CODE FIX STUPID?









Yesterday, 
I was so excited!
Finally!
We could have an accurate diagnosis.
Then I thought about it.


I've gone to doctors that absolutely refused to write about Fibromyalgia in my charts. He looked right at me and said, "well, I'm not writing THAT down." I've been to doctors that have given me the "oh-suck-it-up" look and shrugged their shoulders. I went to a dermatologist because the skin was peeling off my fingers and, I kid you not, he walked out of the room and looked back at me and said, "you know, you do live in the desert."

Will one little code fix that kind of attitude?
You just can't fix stupid.

Health care has gone beyond terrible. Those who belittle and dismiss your symptoms as, "all in your head." The ones that tell you Fibromyalgia isn't real and they certainly won't write that down in your chart.  The ones that have you crying when you leave the office. They are also the physicians that have you doubting yourself and you start thinking about what you did to deserve this or, worse, what you did to yourself that brought this on. Then there are the doctors and clinics that will take thousands from you, knowing there is no cure, give you false hope and when things don't work tell you that you're on the right track.

Will a simple code fix all this?

Then, there's the other end of the spectrum. I've almost become embarrassed to say the word Fibromyalgia. People look at you like it's the garbage can diagnosis that some doctors have made it out to be. If they can't tell what's wrong with you....well then......it must be Fibromyalgia. It may very well be just that......but it's the look that goes along with it that gets to you. It's the look of disdain or the just plain patronizing that gets to me. It's the almost pitying look that says, "well.....if you believe it....."  I'm really tired of doctors pulling that.

Let me get this straight. There is a code for being sucked into a jet engine (V97.33). There is a code for other contact with a pig (W55.49X???). There is a code for being struck with a turkey (W61.62X). It took this long to get a code for Fibromyalgia??????

So, back to the question.
Will the code fix it?
I'm not sure.

Whether they like it or not, Fibromyalgia is real and recognized. I just don't think that years of thinking that it's a problem of neurotic, middle aged women will go away quickly. There will always be doctors that are more interested in getting you out of the office than finding out what's really wrong. Having said that.......

I'm convinced that my dog gets better care than I do.

The vet comes in the room and bends down and pets him.

Calls him by his name and lets him know that she cares.

At that point my dogs tail is wagging a mile a minute.

If there's medication she explains how to use it and what it's for.

She really wants to get to the bottom of the problem.

Plus, she wants to know in a FEW DAYS if the medication is working.

AND,

SHE REALLY LOVE PETS.

Maybe I should go to a veterinarian.

My dog doesn't know how lucky he is.










0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!