Tuesday, October 23, 2012

WHAT'S NEW ON THE HORIZON?








Ok.
I like this one.
And it's been used in Europe for years.


Flupirtine. Interesting sounding name.....who names these things?? Anything starting with a "f-l-u-p" sounds kind of dorky to me, but hey, what do I know?

But, again, I digress.
I do that a lot.

This is an exciting new drug on the horizon.  I'll include the link to the articles at the bottom of the post. I've never heard of it and it sounds promising. Anyway, this drug is neither an opioid or an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It has properties of being both an analgesic and a muscle relaxant. 

It has been used in Europe for the last 25 years for treatment of pain after surgery, trauma, dental work, muscle spasms, cancer and degenerative muscle diseases. The FDA graciously granted phase II clinical trials to be conducted for the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

This has been used in Europe for 25 years?
For extreme pain and muscle diseases??
Why don't we have it here?

The side effects are minimal and there isn't the dependence issue that your body has with an opioid. The NSAIDS have been associated with gastrointestinal issues and, again, this isn't an issue with flupirtine.

It sounds like a miracle drug.
But, believe it or not, it hasn't been introduced in the U.S. for any reason.

I can't wait to see more about this.

25 years........we've never had this.

Why???







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!