Wednesday, August 17, 2011

HONEY, HONEY......NO, SUGAR SUGAR








I'm wishing I could sink my teeth into these.
These health sucking, fat producing
vampire cupcakes.

I've been good lately. I've given up sugar because it just makes me feel better when I do, however, it isn't easy. I'd love to put my face in a big, fat cheesecake. I could probably eat it in one sitting but then I'd hate myself for eating the whole thing. I've never met a cheesecake that I didn't like. I know that refined sugar can also increase the flares of Fibromyalgia.

I'm really missing sugar right now.

Actually, I can blame this on a recipe that my friend Judy Westerfield posted on her blog, "Creativity to the Max." Just the visual of combining a sopapilla and cheesecake makes my mouth water. So, in honor of my annual mammogram, which is tomorrow, and for a little payback to my dear friend Judy, I proudly present:

The "I Don't Know Cake."

Now, I know baking is an exact science but no one ever told my mother that. In her estimation,some was good and more was better. If the recipe called for a cup of something she figured a little bit more or less wouldn't matter and for her, it didn't. Everything seemed to come out just fine. 

Anyway, back to the cake.

I called this the "I Don't Know Cake" because my mother had a weird way of writing down recipes. Nothing was titled and some beside some ingredients there were no measurements. So any of what I'm about to write is subject to change.

2 cups of sifted flour (actually don't even bother to sift. Just stir a fork around in the flour for a minute.)
2 cups of sugar (pretty self explanatory)
2 sticks of butter (salted, unsalted......who cares?)
3 Tablespoons of Cocoa (I'm guessing powder because she didn't say)
1 cup of Diet Coke (the recipe said Coke but, hey.......we're dieting here!!!)
1/2 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla (actually it said, "or a little more")
1 1/2 cups of miniature marshmallows ( add a little more)

In a mixing bowl blend the flour and sugar. In a saucepan melt the butter and then add in the cocoa and the diet coke. Mix it well and bring it to a boil. Pour this into the flour mixture and blend well. Add the milk, eggs, soda and vanilla. Then carefully add in the miniature marshmallows.

Now the recipe actually had underlined the word "carefully." I guess you wouldn't want anything to happen to those sweet little puffs of joy would you? Pour this into a 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Set this aside to cool slightly.

Now for the yummy frosting!

1 stick of butter
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
6 tablespoons of diet coke
1 box of powdered sugar

Melt the butter, then add the cocoa and diet coke. Pour this into the powdered sugar. Pour this over the cake while it's still warm. 

Actually I make a double batch because it turns into a glorious, wonderful, chocolate sugar bomb.

5 or 6 pieces of this make a nice snack!

Glorious, glorious chocolate!!!