Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SOMETHING FUN TO DO












I know that I need something to do.
However.......
I'm not good at hobbies.
Let me explain.

I think I'm more of an idea man. I can see and visualize but when it comes to actually doing, well, that's a tough one. I have tried numerous times to find some sort of hobby that will occupy some of my time and give me some sort of satisfaction of seeing a project well done.

I realize that isn't going to happen.

Years ago my cousin called me and asked me if I wanted to take a knitting class with her. Of course I said I'd go. I had visions of beautifully knit sweaters and scarves. So, off to class I go. I'd never knitted anything before so I had to purchase yarn, needles ......you know, everything you'll need for the basic class.

Right.

I bought angora and tons of knitting needles and a gorgeous bag to put it all in. I went home bursting with pride and announcing how excited I was to start knitting sweaters. My cousin and I actually talked about knitting sweaters and selling them. I showed my husband everything that I'd bought and he just looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

He said, "I'll give you $500 if you finish that sweater."

Well, I knew I was going to win that bet.
I was absolutely certain of it!
Do you think I ever got that $500?

A couple of years later the creative bug struck me again and I decided that I was going to attend stained glass classes. Of course, I had to buy all the equipment and the glass. I even envisioned making stained glass side lights for our front door. My former husband just gave me a look that said, "how much is this going to cost me?" Well, needless to say, the window never got finished and I still have the knife that I bought.

I should have learned.

Another time, my girlfriend asked me to go to a beading class with her. She had several friends that were making absolutely gorgeous necklaces so I thought it would be a lot of fun. Plus, when I was thirteen I used to string love beads into necklaces so I thought it would be a cinch. I'll bet you can guess what happened. Yep, I bought beautiful beads and bags. I had a ball going through the store stocking up on beads like I was going to make tons of bracelets and necklaces. Well I have to say one thing about the project. I actually made a bracelet.

It looked like a three year old did it.

I have tons of scrap booking stuff that I bought on QVC. I have drooled over the Cricut infomercials. Thank heaven the equipment was out of my price range. I think I want to do something creative but I just don't have the knack or the patience. I'm just not an artsy person. 

I've even tried my hand at gardening.

I got on an organic kick and decided I was going to grow my own fruits and vegetables. I bought bags and bags of soil and envisioned a garden of fresh veggies that would not only have us eating healthier but save us money at the store. 

I could have gone to Europe on what it cost to plant a couple of rows of green peppers. 

So anytime anyone calls me and suggests a hobby I am going to tell them no. 

I think I've finally learned my lesson.

Or have I? 

I heard the cooking school is opening up for classes soon..............

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.