Monday, January 25, 2010

WHAT CAME FIRST?





Studies are now seeing if there's a link between Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D deficiency.






I'm low in Vitamin D. 


Very low, as a matter of fact.


As I was reading through the information about Vitamin D deficiency it reminded me of some of the same symptoms that I experience with Fibromyalgia.


Your body cannot create Vitamin D. We need to get it through sunlight and in foods but the sad part is that we don't get enough. Not nearly enough.


What are the deficiency symptoms?


Muscle pain, low energy and sleep problems are the hallmarks of deficiency. Depression is also linked with Vitamin D deficiencies as well.


What got my attention is that deficiencies in Vitamin D can be linked to obesity as well. Studies have shown that weight loss does occur with increased calcium intake and since this vitamin is involved in calcium absorption it's reasonable to believe that weight gain would be  the next link in the chain. 


How do we get more D?


We need to get more unprotected sunlight. I was advised to get 15 minutes of sunlight, twice a day.


Eat egg yolks and nutrient dense fatty fish like sardines ( yuck....sorry, can't eat those). 


Take a Vitamin D supplement.


Is there a link?


The danger is that a huge number of doctors already believe that Fibromyalgia is a disease of neurotic women. Fibromyalgia is not easily diagnosed and never cured and Vitamin D deficiency is easily diagnosed and easily cured. To link Fibromyalgia as a Vitamin D deficiency disease is to again dismiss this problem as a quick-fix.


When I looked up Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D deficiency there were TONS of articles saying that Fibromyalgia has been misdiagnosed. All I can say to that is.......


What a crock.


This kind of thinking gets me on my soapbox.


I DO NOT LIKE PAIN. I DO NOT ENJOY HAVING MY LIFE LIMITED BY PAIN. I DO NOT LIKE THE FIBROFOG AND DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO FIGHT IT.


To have this disease, once again, dismissed as a vitamin deficiency or the by-product of an over active imagination or neuroses is demeaning and insulting.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!