Friday, July 16, 2010

SUPPORT GROUP GET TOGETHER




I did it.
I went. 
And I'm so glad I did.

I debated off an on during the day whether I'd actually go to the meeting. It's in Henderson and that's about a half hour drive from my house.  Did I really want to drive all that  way? Like I said, I went back and forth all day about going to the meeting.

Plus, I hurt. 
That doesn't make me real amiable.

There was quite a few people at this meeting! I met some really nice women and heard some really touching stories. One of them really got to me. The woman was struggling with the pain medication. She'd been on them so long, she knew that she was dependent on them and she struggled with that knowledge. There was also fear. What happens when she does get weaned off of them and then the pain comes? What do you do then? I could see how much pain she was in, physically and mentally and I hurt for her.

I understand the fear of dependence but she posed the definitive question. What happens to you after you go off the medication and the pain of this disease hits you like a brick wall? If you go back on them what happens then? Is it a never ending cycle? 

Are you getting off one roller coaster just to get on another?

One of the markers of Fibromyalgia is interrupted sleep and that one is hard for me. I used to be able to fall asleep anywhere. I could fall asleep standing up! Oh, the days of falling asleep quickly into blissful, uninterrupted slumber. Now, it's a struggle and if I do manage to fall asleep, I don't stay asleep and if I stay asleep I don't wake up refreshed. I've been afraid to take sleep medication because of the other medication that I take and I'm afraid to take a lot of pills. I learned last night that it really helps and that my fears are unfounded. 

I found out that the pain on the bottom of my feet isn't unusual. I didn't know that. I thought it was just one of my rogue pains. Well, if I get gel packs and put them in my shoes it helps alleviate this symptom! We talked about water therapy and vitamin therapy. One woman recommended lithium orotate that she gets at the vitamin store and swears it helps her muscle spasms. We talked about Savella, Lyrica and Cymbalta. Like I said, we talked about everything!

I had a wonderful time and only had to move around a little bit. I can't sit for too long and the chairs are a little uncomfortable. Well, everything is uncomfortable but I can't bring my bed everywhere! 

I'm glad that I went and I look forward to the next meeting. I know, in a city of this size, that there are more people out there suffering with Fibromyalgia. I also know they could benefit from these meetings. 

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this struggle.



3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found a support group. I drove an hour twice a week for a year to a therapy group. It was a mid-morning session and a lot of fun. The therapist moved on and the group dissolved. I searched for other fibro groups and they all meet at night. As of now it is just too far of a drive to be doing at night. I am happy with all the online support I get from everyone for now.
    ((hugs))
    Teia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet found a support group in my area for lupus, RA or PolyArthritis. Very frustrating. BUT, I'm pleased as punch you found one to go to!!! You sound, almost, refreshed if I dare say. Good for you. Tazzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! Funnily enough, and I didn't realize this until you said it Taz, I was energized by the meeting. Wow!

    Also, I'll say this, the women online who blog with this disease are amazing!! We've become friends and they are truly a lifeline.I'm so grateful for everyone that follows this blog and who I follow! They are my support and my friends!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!