Monday, July 5, 2010

WATER AND FIRE






To me,
Water helps everything get better.
Except,
my tooth.
That feels like fire.

I've spent the last couple of days turning into a prune. I love the water and the weightlessness helps my back and the Fibro pain. 

It does nothing for my teeth but it helps the rest of me.

Today, is the first day where something isn't throbbing.
Tomorrow, I have to go back to the dentist.

When will all this stop? 
I have 24 hours to stay in the water before my face becomes fire again.

I am not sure if it's the Novocaine that is bothering me or if it's the procedure itself. All of this reminds me of pain tolerance and pain threshold. I feel like a wimp because all of this dental work is actually getting to me. I really do believe that these experiences are colored by the Fibromyalgia and there is a definite difference.

Pain threshold and tolerance.

Pain threshold is the level at which the body perceives pain.
Pain tolerance is the level of pain that a body can take before breaking down. 

A person with Fibromyalgia isn't a stranger to pain. Actually, we live with a certain level of pain everyday. I don't know why this dental work causes me so much distress. I live with pain constantly so it shouldn't be a big deal. I, like most people with Fibromyalgia, have a huge tolerance to pain.  It shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. For some reason this causes me an inordinate amount of distress and pain. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow knowing that I will be curled up in the fetal position by tomorrow night and that the following day will be even worse. I know I should be imagining health and wellness. A healthy attitude and positive imaging can help me deal with the pain. It's just that I can't seem to focus on just the positive part. I know that pain is coming and that doesn't disappear from my mind.

So, tonight I'm going to back to the tub and try to relax.
No bubbles, just chamomile aromatherapy so I can cope.

I'm going to try to be positive.
(is anyone else buying this?)




1 comment:

  1. Hi Rose,
    I wonder if you are sleeping or at the dentist as I write?
    I'm sorry you are having dental pain. That is some of the worst pain of all. Like ear aches! Yes, we have a high tolerance to pain, and we are always in some, so add to it a rough procedure at the dentist and bam! Pain galore!!! Maybe you ought to take break-though meds for several days, even if you don't feel like you need them. Maybe that would lessen the chances of a fibro flare.
    I have to take my son to the dentist in about two hours, but only for a cleaning. Even cleanings hurt me some. My neck hurts from their chairs. I'm allergic to epinepherine so I have to get those shots a lot more often during procedures. Epi helps the numbing medicine stay longer.
    I think I might (it's a big might) go to a pool with my son today. It's supposed to be in the triple digits. You see, to me, that is well, outrageous! I'd go camping right now if my car was already fixed. Gotta get something done to get it inspected.
    I hope this trip to the dentist proves easier than you expected. I'm thinking of you and sending you well wishes all the way from NC!
    Lots of gentle hugs to you my friend,
    dogkisses.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!